Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

aaa's experience


Once a year I meet with all my 'archaeology' friends at the annual meeting of the Alaska Anthropological Association.  This year the meeting was in Fairbanks.  I went to my first meeting, also in Fairbanks, way back in 1996!  So I have been seeing the same people, once a year, for over 20 years.  But not exactly the same people - some of the archaeologists have retired and there are always new ones joining the fold.

In a weird way they are all my best friends.  These are the people who are always interested in what I have to say.  We all share the same interests.  And, conversely, they know that I'll be interested in what they have to say. 

The annual meeting is where we all maintain our 'archaeo' friendships and meet the new anthropologists joining our ranks.  It is always a good time.  Patrick

waiting outside for our taxi at 20 below

Screen capture from Ross's phone while waiting for the taxi - my ears did get cold

I even won an award - basically for forgetting my shovel and having to use an elk antler to dig a test pit


1 comment:

  1. I'm pleased you explained the Expediency Award. Even looking at the photo I couldn't work it out. We don't have much in the way of elk here and therefore no opportunity to dig with an elk horn....
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete