Search This Blog

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Deer Kabobs


Last weekend I experimented with how I cook deer kabobs.  In the past I often ended up with super rare meat that was still burned on the outside.  So this past weekend I tried 'pre cooking' the kabobs before putting them on the grill.

I made the kabobs in the usual way - cut up the deer and marinaded it in a teriyaki sauce I mixed up (I also add sugar and tomato to my marinade).  Then I put the meat on sticks alternating with onion, mushrooms (I rehydrated dry mushrooms and it worked!), tomato, pepper, and basil leaves (only placed directly by deer).

Then came the experiment.  I preheated the oven up to 170 (the lowest setting), brushed the kabobs with marinade and popped them in the oven, I then turned the oven OFF and took the dogs for a walk.  When I got back from my walk an hour or so later I lit the grill and made rice.  Then I brushed on more marinade and grilled the kabobs.  I did burn a couple of them more than I'd like (see photo), but the meat ended up PERFECT - medium rare pink all the way through each piece.  The meat was NOT dried out. Nora declared them the best ever and that 'you have to make these again - they are awesome!'   Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment