Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Back from Karluk

 

The archaeology crew after backfilling

On Monday I got back from a remote archaeological excavation at Karluk Lake. The dig was sponsored by the landowner - Koniag Inc.  Thank you Koniag!

It was a very successful dig - we uncovered a 3000 year old house and found some amazing stuff (more to come in later posts).  But I have to say I'm still exhausted!  I'm glad that the completion of this project marks the end of my archaeology field season.  It is time to relax and enjoy the end of summer and the beginning of hunting season.

Karluk is a beautiful place and over the past few summers I am very lucky to have had the chance to visit and conduct archaeological research. I'll post more on the various aspects of our trip.  For now I'll let the pictures show what it was like at Karluk Lake.

Patrick

A cloudberry - there were a lot of these this year

Rainbow trout - I did a lot of flyfishing

ground slate points from the dig

The absolutely HUGE 3000 year old house that we excavated

Another view of house - the wood posts were set by us to mark where the original posts once stood

Our cabin early morning fog

view from cabin

Karluk Lake at Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment