Search This Blog

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Test Pits


Last week I did 2 different types of archaeological survey.  On Monday I did a reconnaissance type survey with Alex (click here for post), and the rest of the week I did a more intensive investigative type survey with Molly.  For a reconnaissance survey the purpose is just to find and document sites over a broad area.  While for the investigative type survey you are actually digging test pits and evaluating the sub surface character of sites - you are examining a much smaller area and trying not to miss any sites.  The first is a 'skin deep' view while the latter is getting at the 'depth and character' of the sites.

The latter type survey is important if any development is planned for an area.  Where exactly are the sites and what is their exact extent?  What is the character of the deposits and are they worth excavating?

So last week Molly and I excavated a lot of test pits.  I would dig out the test pits with a shovel and trowel while Molly screened and took notes.  We would interpret the stratigraphy (layers of dirt) together.  Is that dark layer a natural 'organic' horizon formed from rotting vegetation or is it a layer of dirt stained black with charcoal from human activity?  Why are there clean beach pebbles in the test pit - where they brought up from the beach by people or do they represent the remains of an old glacial esker?  Such were the types of questions we asked of the profiles in our test pits.

And we did find a few sites.  We also found out where there are no sites.  We also determined where the beach was located 4000 years and what areas were bulldozed during WWII.  We learned a lot about a small little area by digging a lot of small holes!
Patrick





No comments:

Post a Comment