Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2025

Fuzzy Fireweed

 


Yesterday the dogs and I climbed up the backside of Pyramid on the Seismic Trail. I like the trail because it is less steep than the front side way up Pyramid. I think the dogs like it because there is a pond and they always get a swim.

Anyway, I noticed that the fireweed is no longer flowering and is turning red and going to seed. Many of the fireweed stalks still had flower buds on the top, but they are going to seed anyway.  It seems the fireweed blossom season this year was cut a bit short.  I noticed this at Karluk Lake too.  I hope this means that winter comes early.  However, I suspect it is because it has been so dry.

On the way back down the mountain I took the dogs to their favorite pond and there was barely any water.  It was so shallow that they could run all the way across and not have to swim. Earlier in the summer I joined the dogs swimming a few times. But yesterday the water looked a little green and unappetizing.

Patrick





low bush blueberries

Douglas Aster


Lingonberry





goldenrod

No comments:

Post a Comment