Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Kodachrome


Recently I've started to sort through all my old photos.  I have maybe 20 binders full of thousands of old slides all stuffed into those old plastic sleeves.  Back in the day I did scan what I thought were the best ones, but I did not scan very many and I sort of forgot about the rest.  Now I am returning to those old binders and am finding that there is a lot there that needs scanning.

The slides document a time period in my life that I've realized has become pretty fuzzy.  After I graduated from college, but before I started Graduate School in Wisconsin, I road tripped around the United States in my truck, lived and worked in London, Hong Kong, and South Africa, and went on archaeological excavations in Alaska and Canada.  Back then it was all slide film for me and I did not take many pictures. But it's amazing how pictures bring back memories and clear off the fuzziness.

Anyhow, here are some images from 1990 of a trip to Ayers Rock in Australia. The place is sort of a Grand Canyon in reverse - that rock is HUGE.  This was immediately after I left South Africa where I had lived and worked for a couple of years.  I took my time getting back to the United States and one of the places I visited was Australia.  I noticed that these pictures were taken with Kodachrome slide film.  I used to like the film because it enhanced reds and browns.  I even still have a roll of the stuff in my freezer. Now it is sort of an iconic film because Kodak stopped processing it in 2010 after a run of 75 years!  Paul Simon even wrote a song about it:

They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away


Patrick



2 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    You were only in SA for about a year as I recall.

    Did you know that you can no longer walk/climb to the top of Ayers Rock / Uluru, as the local inhabitants have now campaigned to ban that. All to do with their old traditions and it being such a holy place.

    Later
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. In spite of the fact I previously stated no more comments, here I am!
    These photos capture a moment in time. Those men wearing brimmed hats;close-ups of Uluru which are not often seen and the intriguing middle photo which has the outline of face formed by indentations in the rock face...

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete