 |
| Nesting Kittiwakes |
On our recent survey I think we saw more wildlife than usual. Partly I think the open country and lack of brush on the Aliulik Peninsula made things easier to see, but I also know we saw more bears than usual! And we saw more bears because one of the first places they go after leaving hibernation is to the beach. There they can scavenge on washed up whales, eat nutritious salt grass shoots, and gorge on sand fleas. On the north end of the island sows and cubs are the last bears to leave their dens and you do not see them out and about until about June. So we were a little surprised to see so many sows with cubs.
On the north end of the island the cubs and sows also stay up in the high country to avoid the big boar bears. The boars like to kill and eat the cubs. At Karluk Lake on a survey we once watched a big boar track down and kill a cub on a distant hillside. So avoid the boars the sows like to stay in places where they are less likely to run into boars. I have also had sows and cub hang out right next to our camp in the field. They know the boars are not likely to go near your camp!
No comments:
Post a Comment