Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Spring Flowers

 

Blueberry Blossom - first I saw around the 10th

Monday I saw my first fully-opened salmonberry blossom.  That is a little later than usual - they typically first blossom around early May.  But in 2016 they blossomed in late March and I noticed in 2017 they blossomed even later than this year.  Salmonberry blossoms - like the first crocus and blueberry blossom are how I gauge the arrival of summer.  I post on them every year and here are the links to a few past blog posts from year's past (click here, here, and here for just a few of them).

This year I have not been walking regularly in Abercrombie so I did not exactly catch the first day of when the blueberries blossomed, but it was around the 10th of May - again this is on the late side.

I've noticed that the first salmonberry blossom coincides with about when I plant my garden.  And if I plant it earlier than the first blossom nothing really grows.  Over the past couple days I have been planting my garden.  I got the lettuce, kale, and mustard green sprouts all planted in one bed, and the potatoes are all in too - nicely covered with beach peat.  All that remains, and they'll be planted today, are the carrots and radishes in another bed.

The last few years I have been making a lot of use of 'volunteer' seedlings.  In the fall I let a few kale and mustard greens go to seed.  And the past week or so I have been moving the seedlings around to where I want them to grow.  They are far hardier than when I try to grow them from seed myself.

Patrick

Salmonberry blossom - first one I saw May 17th


Nettle close up - we've already had a number of meals out of the nettle patch

Raspberry buds



Red alder catkin

Garlic doing GREAT and that's beach peat in the potato trenches

No comments:

Post a Comment