This is the last Maine vacation blog post and it is all about the house where Stuey and I stayed. It is my grandmother's old house - granny 'Thurby' - and began life as a warehouse on the water. You can still see the old rock dock piling in the intertidal zone in front of the house. I've actually thought that maybe we should resurrect this old dock - it certainly would make it easier to launch the paddleboards and kayaks that we currently drop over the porch railing at high tide.
In any case, it is a huge old house with many bedrooms. And it still looks very much like it did when my grandmother lived in it. It still has all the old posters, art, photos, and maps on the wall. Many of them sun faded from more than 60 years of UV damage.
This year as sort of a documentation project I went around the house taking pictures of all the old rooms. Looking back at the photos I just realized that I captured what many of the old rooms look like but that I completely failed to document the hallways and stairs. The stairs have maps on the walls that show sequentially the entire coast of Maine and into the Bay of Fundy.
Patrick
| The house on far left back in the day when it was a warehouse |
| Levitating |
No comments:
Post a Comment