Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Barred Island Picnic

 


On our first full day in Maine we went on a picnic to the Barred Islands. Stuey and I were a little sleep deprived but our friend Stewart was in town and has the boat that is capable of such picnics. Without Stewart  our picnics tend to be closer to home and much less exotic.

Over the last few years a Barred Island picnic with Stewart has become a Maine vacation tradition. And, every year,  we tend to go to the same little island. Stewart even remarked that he rarely goes to that particular island unless he is with us.

Same little beach - same glorious view. We also have a tradition of taking a picture of Stuey and Stewy together. This tradition goes back to when Stuey was a baby on Stewy's knee (click here for photo of Stuey on Stewy knee). 

This year when we walked around the island I could not help but look for archaeological sites. And I found one - a small eroding shell midden. Last year I found a utilized flake on the nearby beach but not the site. This year I found the site where the artifact had come from.
Patrick




I found an eroding shell midden!





No comments:

Post a Comment