Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2026

Another Picnic

 

Stuey and I went on 2 picnics with Stewart. On the second picnic Anne joined us and we went to Sloop Island. I had never been to this island before. The tide was high and the whole beach was practically under water. We nosed up to the steep beach and then pulled the boat back off shore with the anchor line.

We had our lunch and then I went around exploring.  Even on vacation I can't help but look for archaeological sites, and, just like on the first picnic, I found another eroding shell midden. This one had more bones in it and I wondered what people were doing on that island in the distant past - Hunting seals and birds? The bones did mostly look like bird bones - and so that would be my guess. Maybe they went out there in the spring to collect eggs and harvest the nesting birds?

Near the end of the picnic we saw thunderheads and approaching rain in the far distance. We left a bit early to try and beat the storm. And it looked like we were going to make before it caught us about 500 meters shy of the entrance to Pulpit Harbor. It was an insane squall and the wind was whipping water like smoke along the surface of the sea. Stewart had to turn the boat into the wind and we tried to shelter behind the steering tower.  We all got soaked with salt spray and rain.

In Pulpit Harbor we saw a collapsed shack that got blown over by the wind and even a flipped over row boat on a mooring. It was quite the little squall.

Patrick








another eroding shell midden




 


No comments:

Post a Comment