 |
| Karluk Village and Lagoon with old Karluk on the other side of the lagoon (to left) |
Last week I went to the village of Karluk for a work related trip. For the last 15 years or so I have done a lot of archaeology up on Karluk Lake and along the river. But I had not visited the village in over 20 years - maybe 25!
The village of Karluk is on the lagoon at the mouth of the river and it is where I spent my first summer in Alaska way back in 1985. I was a part of the Bryn Mawr College excavation at the Karluk One site. This is the excavation that basically created the Alutiiq Museum where I now work. The site was a 'wet' site and had amazing organic preservation - grass and spruce root baskets, wood masks, painted box panels, ulus with the handles attached - All sorts of amazing stuff Today most of the artifacts on display in the gallery are from that excavation.
Since then the entire site has been destroyed by erosion. The river draining the lagoon has been slowly migrating to the southwest and it completely destroyed the site by the early 2000's. Now it is cutting into the hillside and threatening the old Russian Orthodox Church on the hill that was once behind the site (see bottom photo).
Spending a day back on the lagoon brought back many memories. I walked the same road that I had once walked every day from the village to the site. I saw the old Russian Orthodox church. But one thing I did not see was Karluk One the archaeological site I helped excavate. Where the site once was is now under water or beach gravel. The erosion since I last visited is utterly amazing.
Patrick
 |
| River erosion threatening the Karluk Church |
 |
| It was a tad buggy |
 |
| Ugak Bay from the plane home |
 |
| 'CC 1,2,3' - the old ski route from Crown to Center |
 |
| The church in 1995 |
 |
| me on the slope below church above river in 1985 |
 |
| Aerial view of Karluk from 1983 - it's eroded a lot since then |
I’m pretty sure it was 26 summers ago that we floated the Karluk doing an egg take — so, yah, it’s been a while since you were there. It’s great to see pictures where I, too, spent summers with fond memories. — Erica
ReplyDeleteADF&G is doing an egg take again this year too - but now they want to stock the Karluk River because the numbers are so low. And I remember that trip well - that was before I did any of the archaeological surveys on the river!
ReplyDelete