Search This Blog

Monday, February 16, 2026

Slushy in the sunshine

 


On Saturday I climbed up to Heitman Lake to cross country ski. It was a frosty morning so I actually waited until noon for it to warm up a bit. And then it got too warm. By the time I got up to the lake it was 50 degrees outside.

All the snow on the lake had turned to slush and there was standing water in places on the ice. Wow! did it warm up quickly!

The slushy conditions made for some very slow skiing. And the wind was blowing up and down the lake. So going downwind, with the wind at my back, I'd creep along at a slow pace.  But going upwind I could barely move at all. Still, it was a good workout and I got tired pretty quickly.

And the hike up and down in the warm sunshine was pretty glorious.

Patrick





These days there is not a lot of snow below 1000 feet


No comments:

Post a Comment