Yesterday Stuey and I had an amazing impromptu ski with cousin Zeke and Uncle Dicky. The plan had been to drive out the road and ski and/or skate on a lake. But as we drove past the gate to the rifle range at the mouth of Salonie Creek Uncle Dicky stopped and suggested we drive in to the range and skate ski up the river valley. I must admit there was so little snow by the road that I was a little skeptical.
But inside the gate and just a short ways in to the rifle range the snow got deep. Almost too deep for the car and I was worried the car would high center. Once at the rifle range we put on our skis and took off up the river valley with dogs running along behind. It was a good decision!
The conditions were perfect. A carvable crust with just a little powder on top, and practically no wind. We cruised on top of the crust through the cottonwood trees and on up the river. Skating wherever we wanted to go. We stopped at a log to eat lunch and then on the return it was all slightly downhill and we flew. Stuey was in Heaven. Patrick
No comments:
Post a Comment