Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Accidental Bear Viewing

 

 

There have been a lot of bears around lately.  Close to town if you go to pretty much any stream or river with salmon in it you will see bears.  Yesterday Nora and I went to Buskin Beach and saw 2 sows and like 5 cubs feeding in the river just before you get to the parking lot.  There was a gaggle of photographers taking pictures of the bears and at the same time a bunch of fishermen focused on catching fish themselves and keeping a wary eye on the bears.  

It was a big dance.  The bears would move one way and all the photographers would follow them while the fishermen would move out of the way.  

Nora and I watched for a bit, but we soon left for the beach to give Bodi his walk.  The other day Bodi and I ran into a small bear on the beach, and I am proud to say Bodi knew to stay away. On that occasion to get off the beach we had to walk past the bear.  I put Bodi on a leash as we went past and practically had to drag him by the napping bear.  He wanted nothing to do with the bear.  

At the beach Bodi did some swimming and played with the other dogs (post to come), and then Nora and I left.  On the way back out the road beside the river we watched the bears a bit more from the car.  All the 'dancers' had changed positions in the 1/2 hour or so since we'd last been there.

Then to kill time Nora and I went to the 'Beaver Pond' where we often launch in our raft to float the Buskin.  We wanted to see the fall colors on the cottonwood trees.  Of course we got to the beaver pond and there was a bear swimming across.  Then while we watched he caught and ate a salmon.

Maybe this afternoon I'll bring along my binoculars and go looking for bears.

Patrick

Cub with natal collar

Beaver Pond Bear

The 'Beaver Pond' - on arrival we saw a bear swimming across


bear cubs

Bear Track on the Beach

Sow and cub

No comments:

Post a Comment