Search This Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Clean Slate


For the last couple of weeks my desktop computer had been freezing up.  Suddenly yellow dots would appear on the screen and nothing would work.  I joked that it had a case of the measles. That said, I also backed up all my photos and desktop files.

Then a week ago last Thursday when I got back from an archaeological survey the old computer breathed her last gasp.  The entire screen went yellow and white with hieroglyphic like squiggles all over.  Time for a new computer.

Funnily enough I did not feel the angst and anger one usually associates with a total computer crash.  I was sort of expecting it and I had mostly backed everything up.  I also realized that the computer was over 12 years old!  I had purchased it in early 2005 before Nora was born.  Eerily the computer's life span had matched my marriage and the crash coincided with the day if legally ended. Weirder yet when I did get back into to my GCI email account all the emails were gone EXCEPT the ones from before 2003.  It was like 2003 -2017 never existed!

I did discover that I had not backed everything up.  My email address book was gone, all the emails, all the music, the best pictures stored in iphoto, bookmarks etc.  But also gone too were all the email addresses that no longer worked, a morass of photos, the bugs, the bad songs.  Even in 2005 when I bought the computer the older computer had downloaded its thoughts onto the hard drive.  The crashed computer had still had an OS9 application file!  So I thought, 'You know it is time for a clean slate'. 

The new computer will have a hard drive with no memories predating 2017! 

That said, if you reading this, and know me, realize that I may no longer have your email address.  So send me an email.  I will be creating a new email address book, and all the addresses will be current.  Patrick

1 comment:

  1. I am a a true believer that things happen for a reason but, I must say, how bizarre that your computer crashed and wiped out the years corresponding to your marriage!

    ReplyDelete