Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2020

Mist & Ice


We lost our powder on Monday, but we haven't lost all that much snow.  It has continued to rain and snow with temperatures below freezing at night and in the upper 30s by day.  The powder has just transformed into something else - it has gotten quite a bit icier.  My driveway is, once again, an ice rink.

I've been doing Stuey's paper route while he is on vacation, and, believe it or not, but my driveway is just about average.  Er maybe a little worse than average, but certainly not the worst.

The lack of powder means the classic cross country and downhill skiing is not all that good.  There is still some soft snow around, but on high it is mostly windblown ice.  But the crusty conditions does mean that the skate skiing is fantastic.  You can skate anywhere on top of the crust.

I made a 30 second video of my cross country ski from Tuesday - linked below and I also tried pasting it below into the post like a normal picture (but this does not always work).  click here for link to the You tube video or go here:
https://youtu.be/D8yTaeVQAoM
The video is much higher resolution on Youtube

Anyway the skate skiing was spectacular with transformed snow on top of a hard crust.  I bombed through the trees and up and down hills.  It is like ice skating on dry land.  I think I might even prefer it to powder skiing!
Patrick

My driveway - pretty icy!

The award winning icy driveway on Stuey's paper route

View of Upper Buskin while crust cruising

Upper Buskin crust cruising


Pyramid on high is NOT good skiing


No comments:

Post a Comment