Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Afternoon Crust Cruise


Yesterday after work I went for a Buskin blast on skate skis.  Thursday night it froze hard so I knew the crust would hold me up.  It was also a glorious day in the 30s with practically no wind.  Perfect day to go skate skiing on a go anywhere crust.

So I parked at the outlet to Buskin Lake and skate skied around the edge of the lake and up the river into the canyon.  Most of the lake is covered with grey ice, but there is a 10 meter wide band of crusty snow along the edge that is perfect for skate skiing.

In the upper river the recent warm conditions created overflow on top of the snow and ice and in places it was like skiing on frozen avalanche debris - not good.  So when I reached an impassible water crossing just before the canyon I left the riverbed for the trip back to the car.  Off of the riverbed it was a little icy and bumpy for good crust cruising so I returned to the riverbed below the frozen overflow.

Then it was time to blast on home - down the river and across the lake.  I did take a bunch of scenery pictures at the lake.  I took pictures of the same scene both as single horizontally framed and stitched pans of 3 vertically framed pictures.    I could not decide which I like better - and so I include both below.  The single frame shows the mountain looking bigger and the detail is easier to see.  While the panoramic shows the whole scene in a more expansive way.
Patrick



Overflow debris and scour marks

This is as far as I got up the river - looking down river towards the lake




No comments:

Post a Comment