Friday night we went camping with the cousins on Woody Island. Nora had a babysitting job until 4 PM - so immediately after her job ended we picked up the requisite Subway sandwiches and headed to Trident Basin to launch the kayaks and SUPs.
Nora and I took most of the gear in our kayak cockpits while the others tucked their gear in dry bags under straps on the decks of their SUPs. By 6:30 or so we were finishing up setting up camp on public land on Woody Island. Woody Island is amazingly close to town!
Since it is so close to town I was expecting where we camped to have been heavily used by other campers. But we seem to have been the first people to go there this year. I thought about it a bit and I think traveling by kayaks lets you camp where people using bigger boats fear to tread. The bigger boats need a safe anchorage while with kayaks you just haul them up into the trees. With no need for a safe place to anchor your boat there are far more choices of places to camp.
Saturday morning we had hash browns, eggs and bacon cooked on the woodstove and then we were back in town by 10 AM. So convenient. Patrick
![]() |
| Nora enjoys the view of the sunset from her tent |









No comments:
Post a Comment