I have a couple of zoom lenses, but mostly I use fixed focal length 'prime' lenses. With a fixed focal length I can't just stand in one place and zoom in and out to create my picture 'frame' composition. But I find that in my mind's eye I know the 'frame' of each of my lenses, and that I see the landscape with that particular frame in mind. So with each lens I take different pictures.
It is a good way of mixing things up. Some days I go for wide angle landscapes, some days I go for close ups. And on each of these days I mostly only take one type of picture. I actually find that with my zoom lenses I mostly use them for their telephoto capabilities. Anyway, you always read about how fixed 'prime' lenses are faster and have better picture quality etc, but I like them because they force me to look at what's 'out there' in a particular way. Rather than a generalist I become a specialist, and I think I take better photos as a result.
Patrick
No comments:
Post a Comment