Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Air Fried Halibut

 

I got an air fryer a couple of years ago and at first we just used it to make crispy potato wedges.  It did this very well.  So well in fact that my kids would no longer accept my normal oven fried potatoes.  Eventually I branched out a bit and we started to air fry chicken drumsticks, then wings, breasts, and even whole small chickens.  The air fryer REALLY does a good job with chicken.  Then came Brussel sprouts, pork chops and the flood was on.  It seemed the air fryer could do a good job cooking anything.

But fish?  I was a little skeptical about air fried fish.  Until I tried cooking halibut.  It came out amazing.  And I have done it a few times now.  I've learned that the biggest trick to good air fried halibut is to make sure that the halibut is totally thawed - partially frozen halibut needs to be cooked too long and dries out.

Anyway, there are numerous recipes on the internet and I found one that uses a dry rub on the halibut.  I adapted it to my uses.  Basically I put the halibut filet on a cutting board and lightly season with pepper and salt and then rub on a dry rub (taco seasoning even works well).  I leave it for a bit and preheat the air fryer at 350 for about 5 minutes.  The I spray the halibut on both side with oil (I use avocado oil spray) and put it in the air fryer tray.  Then I sprinkle panko bread crumbs on top - not too many - and set the air fryer for 8 minutes.  

I find the cooking time varies depending on the thickness of the filet.  7 minutes is generally not quite enough time, but over cooking the halibut is not good!  So I check with a fork at 7 minutes - if it almost flakes it is done. A tiny bit under done is good because it will continue to cook a bit out of the air fryer.  After 7 minutes I continue with 2 minute intervals until done - usually no more than 11 minutes total.  One does not need to flip the fish.

When done I put it on a plate and sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on top.  Then I gobble it up.  We've been eating a lot of halibut lately.

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment