Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Saturday's Whiteout

 


Saturday was a day of great expectations that simply did not pan out.  We drove up to the pass in the sunshine.  The slopes in the south bowl and on the 'Three Tree' run untracked and beautiful.  First tracks! At the parking lot I put on my sunglasses and put a pair in my pocket for Nora.  It looked like it was to be a sunny afternoon on the slopes.

And then just like that it got cloudy, and then by the time we reached the top it had started to snow.  We decided that we would still ski the south bowl and out the 'Three Tree' run.  To do this we had to negotiate a complete white out in the top of the south bowl.  I led and I could not see a thing.  Total vertigo - I had to snow plow. Then I looked back and there everybody was on the slope above me - I had not realized it was so steep.

But the snow was good, and when we got a little further down we could see and the exposed bushes gave the landscape some '3D'.  It was time to rip.  And rip we did all the way down to the road.  

Of course after we got home it cleared up and got sunny again!

Patrick


Last of the sunshine with the parking lot behind

Other skiers - including Nora's cousin



Road in the distance - time to rip

2 comments:

  1. I go caught in that whiteout up on Old Woman; by the time I got back to the car it was blue skies and sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was the predicted storm arriving early!

    ReplyDelete