I took the doggies to Buskin Beach - I've been doing that a lot lately. And it was dead high tide. The river mouth was flooded and I was amazed to see a herd of seals in there chasing fish. What do you call a group of seals anyway? I kind of thought the salmon run is over but there must still be silver salmon making there way up stream. Why else would the seals be there and in such numbers?
Anyway, it is a good place to take the dogs and especially Red. I am trying not to take him on walks that are too long, and if he gets tired I carry him. The beach is good because Bodi gets all the exercise he needs running this way and that, and yet, we do not walk all that far. So good for Red too.
Patrick
Postscript: I just googled 'herd of seals' and learned that 'herd' is an accepted word for a group of seals. Other words for a herd included, a 'pod' for a group of young seals, a 'rookery' or a 'harem' for what I assume are seals at the mating grounds, and my favorite a 'bob' of seals. Wow, what a word - a 'bob' of seals. I got to remember that one and try and use it in a conversation. It is up there with a 'murder' of crows.
No comments:
Post a Comment