Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Pretty Pictures from the trip

 

Trident Basin at sunrise

These are some of the pretty pictures from my recent trip to the south end of the island. Generally I post all my pictures from a trip by theme - camping, hunting, landscapes etc - but these are the ones that really did not fit with the themes I chose to post about (and that will be posted over the coming week).

Two of the pictures show bear 'century trails'. These are trails where bears step in the same spot repeatedly and create holes in the tundra that mimic their stride. There is some debate about how long it takes to create such a trail and why exactly bears create them. On this trip we found a lot of them on the ridge tops. We even found one (not shown) where you could see fresh bear paw prints on the bottom of the 'step' depressions. I found this interesting because the holes were clearly getting created and dug out by recent bear activity. I've always thought that the trails were ancient and would take hundreds of years of repeated use to create, but seeing the fresh bear activity hints that they might not take that long to create after all.

Patrick

elderberries - bears love these

Kodiak 'Dog Bay' boat harbor



Bear 'Century Trail'






rotting humpy


spider web catching fog

another bear trail

No comments:

Post a Comment