Where Mike and I went hunting the alpine was particularly spectacular. It was rolling country and there was a rugged white granite backdrop. Huge white boulders were dotted here and there on the green tundra where they had been deposited by retreating glaciers.
At one point Mike and I were walking along and surprised 2 golden eagles drinking water in a creek. They erupted in flight with loud squawks and we both jumped in alarm. Golden eagles are HUGE when seen close up!
I also noticed that one particular species of willow is experiencing a die off from a bug infestation. You could see great big swaths of brown on the hillsides where patches of these particular willows are dying. Close inspection showed that all of their leaves are getting eaten. What's weird is that none of the other species of willow are getting eaten by the bugs.
Patrick

No comments:
Post a Comment