Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Ice in the Canyon

The big bend in the canyon - the white line to the right of the spruce is the ice column in photos below

Yesterday during my daily ski up to the Buskin River canyon with the dogs I ran into John and Ryan ice climbing.  Climbing in the sunshine.  I was amazed at how quickly John climbed up the ice column.

It was sort of a bitter sweet day in the sunshine.  The weather forecast was for rain and wind today and an end to a spell of 6 weeks of clear, dry and cold weather.  Goodbye to skiing up the river after work.  And indeed, as I write this, the storm has arrived and all the trees are shaking outside the window and Mill Bay is all a roil. The temperatures are meant to get up into the 40s by later today.  Oh well, at least we need the rain.

As if the snow god Ullr knew it was my last day up the canyon, on my way back from the waterfall I inadvertently skied into a hole and snapped a ski.  'Uh oh', I thought, 'over 3 miles from the car and only one ski, and I got to pick up the kids from school at 3:30'.

I ended up double-poling all the way back to the car on one ski.  That meant most of my weight was on one leg.  Whooo wheee did that leg get tired!  But it was also mostly flat or slightly downhill, and I did make it home fairly quickly.  I made it home in plenty of time to pick up the kids on time.

And like the broken ski I fear the Upper Buskin is done for the year. But I can't complain.  It has been a tremendously good run.  Thank you Ullr and Upper Buskin!
Patrick

Ryan and John start their climb

John how fast can you go - 'X-games fast'?

Pretty fast it seems - hey slow down I'm trying to do a pan

Hey where did John go? He eluded my panoramic

No comments:

Post a Comment