![]() |
| Insides of a dragonfruit |
The kids and I have been eating a lot of fruit lately. Mostly the usual apples, kiwis, mangos, pomegranates, and melons. But when I was in the fruit section of Safeway I decided to try some of the really weird looking fruit. You always see those really weird looking things and wonder what they taste and look like inside. And hey a pomegranate looks weird too, but it is oh so awesome. So on a spur-of-the-moment impulse I bought a dragonfruit. It is bright red and yellow on the outside and based on appearances you can see why it is associated with dragons.
Back home I looked it up and learned how to eat it. Seemed simple and it was indeed an easy process - cut it in half and scoop with a spoon! I also chilled mine immediately before I ate it one morning for breakfast. It sort of tasted like kiwi flavored ice cream. Tasty and surprisingly filling.
Suitably inspired on my next Safeway fruit aisle visit I brought a kiwano or horned melon. The scary spiky yellow looking thing, and, indeed, I forgot the name and when googling it at home I found it by searching for 'weird spiky yellow fruit name'. It is really distinctive. Also another one that is super easy to eat - cut in half and scoop seeds and jelly out. Both of these fruits have been way easier to prep than pomegranates! But the kiwano did not impress me much, and neither did it impress Stuey. Sort of a seedy cross between a green melon and cucumber flavor. Maybe it is one of those flavors that grows on you, but too expensive for my tastes.
Anyway, I already have my eye on the next 'impulse-fruit-of the-week-purchase'. Star fruit. Bright lime green and star-shaped in cross section. I figure it is no fair looking it up before I purchase either! Patrick
![]() |
| Kiwano or horned melon |





No comments:
Post a Comment