Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Nascent Blueberries


Yesterday at the park I tried to take pictures of the blueberry and salmonberry blossoms.  But rather than just focus on the flowers themselves I tried to work the blurred background into the composition.  I gather the blurred 'light dots' are known in photography circles as 'bokeh'.  My goal was to use the background bokeh to make a pleasing composition.  So when taking the photo I used the Manuel focus to focus on a particular flower and then moved around until that particular flower was in the exact right place against the background - then click.  The hardest part was actually getting the right focus, and I found I had to use the Manuel focus because the auto focus kept on focusing on the wrong places.  Anyway, I thought I got some good results.

I also noticed that the blueberry blossoms are past their prime and that the white petals are starting to fall to the ground.  If you look closely (the bottom photo in particular) you'll notice little nascent blueberries where the petal has fallen off.  The flower stamen is still there and it is sticking out of what will become the berry.  So there are baby blueberries on the bushes already!
Patrick






No comments:

Post a Comment