Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Watching the Moon


Nora and I thought there was supposed to be a lunar eclipse on Saturday night.  We looked, and looked and nothing happened (top photo).  Then we found out that it was actually supposed to take place around 7:30 on Sunday night - or, as it was called online where a simple full moon will not suffice, a super, blood, wolf moon lunar eclipse!

Driving back Sunday evening from checking on Stuey who was sleeping over at a friend's house we saw all the people gathering at Mill Bay beach to get ready for the eclipse.  Nora had me go home and return with a camera.  We actually had a hard time finding parking!  But it was cold.  So we decided to drive home and watch the eclipse from our house up on the cliff.

The clouds started to come in (we woke on Monday to snow), and nothing happened for a long time.  Then the moon slowly started to disappear.  And then it did disappear and turn red.  But Nora was highly disappointed.  'That's it',  she declared.  I think because it was hazy it was sort of hard to see.   Still, with the zoom on my camera it did look pretty cool. (But I got much better pictures for the one back in 2010 - even without a big zoom - click here for post)

Later, after Nora went to bed, as I watched the moon reappear I put the camera away, and got out the binoculars.  Why didn't we think of binos earlier?  So, so much better.  Next Lunar eclipse we are watching through binoculars.  Patrick









No comments:

Post a Comment