Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2020

Akhiok

 


I spent Wednesday in Akhiok taking pictures of the village as part of the Alutiiq Museum's Community Archive Project (see previous posts on subject here and here).  Four of us from the museum travelled to Akhiok.  Djuna and Amanda set up shop in the teen center and scanned slides and pictures that community members brought in to share.  It was Dehrich and my job to wander around town and document what Akhiok is like right now in September 2020. 

I have not been to Akhiok since early 2000.  That's a long time ago but it seemed exactly as I remembered it.  I even met up with Roy and Teacon who I remembered from my 2000 visit.

So Dehrich and I wandered around town and took pictures.  It was a bit of a gloomy day but the fall colors brightened things up.  Later in the day I climbed up the hill behind town to get the 'village out in the tundra' view of things.  I found that the blueberries were huge and very numerous.  And indeed Akhiok looks very small in the HUGE landscape.

Great day to be at work!  Patrick






Picture of the church taken during my last visit 20 years ago

My Alutiiq Museum co-workers at the Akhiok International Airport terminal



No comments:

Post a Comment