The kids have been at school now for almost 2 weeks and the photos at the bottom of this post are from their first day of school. Nora is now a freshman in High School and takes the bus to and from school everyday. And she often takes 5 dollars to school with her to buy lunch. She reports that lunch is Subway sandwiches. She enjoys school but only tells me snippets about what she does. I overheard her telling Stuey how she has to have her temperature taken on arrival at the school. Also she plays pencil and paper games like hangman with another former St Mary's student during her free time. All is well with Nora.
Stuey is in a pod with 3 other boys from St Mary's. Their teacher is a former Kodiak High School teacher. Back in the day I can remember giving a PowerPoint presentation on Alutiiq Prehistory to her class. She is famous for keeping the boys in order. A week or so ago when I was working out at Chiniak the backhoe operator fondly remembered her class. Every day Stuey has it easy because the pod takes place in the downstairs apartment next door, and during their recess breaks, when I'm working at home, I can hear them running around outside.
So odd that think that just a year ago both Nora and Stuey were safely ensconced at St Mary's. This year there is a totally different routine! Patrick





No comments:
Post a Comment