Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2020

Pillar Sunset


Last Thursday as part of the Alutiiq Museum's Community Archive project I got paid to take photos of Kodiak.  The museum with a grant from the BIA is in the process of documenting all of Kodiak's villages. Mostly this involves scanning old family photo albums, but we are also taking contemporary photos of all the villages.  Earlier this year I visited Old Harbor as part of this project (click here for post), and later this week I am off to the village of Akhiok on the south end of Kodiak.

On Thursday I tried to take photos documenting what Kodiak looks like today.  I drove around with Nora and took pictures of cannery workers wearing COVID masks and explored the boat harbor (post with these photos to come).  But the light was pretty bad so I decided to wait until sunset and take some landscape pictures in the evening light.

And so that's why Stuey, Nora and I drove up Pillar Mountain right at sunset.  We brought the mountain bike and Stuey rode it down the mountain when we were done.  We got up there right before sunset and the light was glorious.  So much better than the mid day light had been down in town.
Patrick







No comments:

Post a Comment