So this time I expected to do the same thing - only we found trailheads and marked hiking trails! I gather it is called the 'Sophie Flats' trail system and the trails are maintained by the BLM (click here for link). Nonetheless, the official trail still does not go to the top of the peak - so we still 'bee lined' it and climbed the peak the same way we did in the 1980s.
And then on the top we found an ammo box with a climb log going back to the early 2000's! On the way down we found a pretty nice trail - very lightly used and NOT an official BLM trail. But it linked up to the BLM trails and we hiked on trail all the way back to the car. So next time we know there is a trail all the way to the top. The cool thing is despite the official trails there is still very little traffic. I bet one group a month goes to the top of Red Peak, and we only saw footprints on the marked trails.
The top of 'Red Peak' had high cliffs all around - sort of like a mini Vulture Peak with out all the traffic. And the views were spectacular. We explored a cave in the side near the top and I think there was a falcon of some sort hanging out on the north side cliffs. I also admit I kind of like hiking 'off trail', but the Sophie's Flats trails seem so lightly used it really is the best of both worlds. Next time I'm going to hike all the Sophie's Flats trails!
Patrick



No comments:
Post a Comment