Now we are in the Seattle airport! More than halfway home from Japan and back amongst American accents. One funny thing about the trip is that practically all the English speakers we met in Japan were from either Australia or New Zealand. Hakuba was loaded with people from 'down under'. When we heard an American accent it was a notable event and other Americans thought so too - we only met 2 other American parties in Hakuba. At one point, a Frenchman who spoke good English asked if we were Australian - this is the first time I have ever been mistaken for an Australian! Clearly the French have a hard time distinguishing between various English regional accents. Nora and I tried to learn the difference between a New Zealand and Australian accent - and I think I partially got it. We also learned a lot about Australia and New Zealand in the process. And then yesterday morning we watched the BBC news in our hotel room and got a taste for a true plummyBritish accent.
Now all the accents are plain old American, but Nora and I certainly appreciate our own accent now!
Anyway, this post is all the scenic Tokyo pictures from just after we arrived. I took a bunch more yesterday in the Imperial Gardens but those will wait until a later post. Tokyo is a stunningly beautiful and clean city. The city clearly spends a lot of time and effort on its gardens too. All the trees by the streets are beautifully maintained. While we were there the last of the yellow ginkgo leaves fell off of the trees. At night many of the trees and streets were lit up with lights.
More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment