Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2024

Super Saturated

 


Here on Kodiak it has been raining a lot lately.  And not the kind of rain that is all snow with a little gain in elevation.  Lately it has been raining top to bottom.  Yesterday we did get a little snow on the mountains, but by the time I got up there with the dogs it had turned back to all rain again.  Last night it rained hard with temperatures in the mid 40's.  

On walks in the woods it is pretty muddy with big puddles to negotiate.  Extra Tuff boots are required gear. Everything is super saturated.  When Nora and I watched the afternoon jet land from Buskin Beach we could see the wingtips leaving behind a long stream of water.  I believe these are not contrails (freezing vapor from engines) but rather the pressure from the wings turning the moisture in the air into water.  

It seems like it has been about 100% humidity for weeks now.  

Patrick


Here comes the afternoon jet - leaving a trail of moisture off of its wingtips


yesterday's slush fest on the mountain


No comments:

Post a Comment