Search This Blog

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Another Afognak Survey

High tide in Waskanareska Bay

Yesterday I got back from another archaeological survey.  This one was from Muskomee Bay to Afognak Village along the shores of Afognak Island.  Like the other surveys earlier this year the survey was for the Afognak Native Corporation.

It was a quick survey and first one where I did not find a single new prehistoric site.  On this survey we only found 3 new historic sites.  And I looked HARD - getting in and out of the kayak at all the likely places and scouring the woods and cliff tops for traces of past cultural activities - and . .. . NOTHING.

This was a big change from the last survey where I could not help but stumble upon archaeological sites.  So what is the difference?  I think some of it has to do with erosion.  This area of Afognak sank during the 1964 Earthquake and much of the coastline subsequently was cut back by erosion.  The shoreline was littered by old dead spruce trees killed when they sank into the salt water after the earthquake.

But I also think that erosion does not completely explain the dearth of archaeological sites that we found along coast of the recent survey.  After all, just across Raspeberry Strait we did find plenty of prehistoric sites during our survey back in late May.  So why not on the north side?  I think that most of the coastline on the north side is just unsuitable for village sites.  Cliffy, muddy intertidal zones, and a general lack of concentrated subsistence resources.  There were no places that screamed 'village site'.

And when we got to Afognak Village the dichotomy was clear.  Suddenly we were at a place that screamed 'village site', and there were the villages.  The coastline changed dramatically - from muddy and broad intertidal zones to nice beaches with driftwood along the top.  The aspect also changed and the beaches face the productive open gulf.  There were sites everywhere again.  Patrick

Flat calm and foggy in Afognak Strait

Afognak Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment