Search This Blog

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Blueberries and Fireweed


On Thursday Stuey and I found the first ripe blueberries of the year - at least the first I've seen. This is 3 weeks later than the first blueberry of last year. I also noticed that the fireweed is starting to bloom.  So summer is peaking and the end is nigh.

It is a horrible berry year.  There are very few salmonberries or blueberries to be found.  Funnily enough but there are decent numbers of blueberries and salmonberries up in the alpine.  I think this is because they were protected from the cold winds of winter under a blanket of snow.  But down low the pickings are pretty bad.  Stuey and I could not find any blueberries at all under the trees in Abercrombie.  And yet the red currants in my yard have a bumper crop of berries this year.  So not all berries are doing badly - just blueberries and salmonberries.

I guess we'll be climbing the mountains for our blueberries this year!  Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment