Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A 'Trace' of Snow

I love it when the spruce trees on Pilar Mountain are draped in snow!

According to the weather guys Kodiak got a 'trace' of snow Wednesday night (they later upgraded it to .3 inches).  But if that's a trace I'll take it every time.  I have noticed that this year the weather guys consistently seem to downgrade the snow totals. While in years past they have tended to exaggerate the totals.  Sometimes I think they measure it as it falls and other times (like this year) they maybe only measure what is in the cup at the end of the storm.  I'm not exactly sure but I have come to realize that their observations are not very standardized between the different observers.  The totals are very much more subjective from year to year than you would think, and this makes it difficult to use their measurements to compare snow years.

Anyway, we woke up to snow on the ground, blue skies above, and very little wind.  We hit the trifecta!

I raced out of work to climb Pyramid and found the road to the pass was impassible.  So I had to climb up from the switchbacks.  I have not had to do this in years.  And I had to do it quick if I was to make it back in time to pick up the kids from school.  So I raced up.

It was glorious.  Deep powder - and I had it all to myself.  When I was done I looked back at the mountain and admired my sinuous squiggle of a track that went from top to bottom.  Then I skied down the road to my car.  Skiing on the road was sort of weird because I am used to doing it in my car at about the same pace I did it on skis.  Except what is slow for the car is very speedy on skis!

I was in a good mood when I picked up the kids - right on time with their after school snacks on hand.  Patrick



I started my climb from the dark area in the center of the picture and skied back to the car on the road you can see on the right


No comments:

Post a Comment