Search This Blog

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Another Snow Day


Yesterday we did back-to-back snow adventures.  First we went to Lake Gertrude with the dogs to XC ski.  At 4:30 Friday evening the whole lake had been covered with snow and I knew the ice was safe because I went skating on it Thursday night.  But by Saturday morning half the lake had turned to grey ice.  I guess it stayed pretty warm Friday evening a little too long before it froze up hard.

Still the South end of the lake had a thin layer of well adhered snow on the ice and the skate skiing was pretty good.  Albeit there was not a lot of room for exploration!  Stuey flew around on his skate skis and I towed him around a few times.  But the classic XC skiing had not been good enough to keep Nora on the lake very long.

So for the afternoon we sojourned to the golf course for our second ski adventure.  Friday's wet snow had frozen up hard and the skiing was VERY fast.  Stuey and a friend went sledding and climbed trees.  I did a little classic but quickly switched to skate skis and did laps.  Nora practiced her downhill speed in the classic tracks.  She'd XC ski up the long hill and then rip down in the track whooping.

Later at home we watched the Women's Nordic relay at the Olympics.  The women were flying and Nora could relate.  Both Nora and Stuey puffed up my head big time when they agreed that when I ski my technique and pace looks very much like that of the women in the relay race.  Thank you guys! Patrick



I asked them, 'pretend you just won the halfpipe gold at the Olympics' - that's Nora coming down the hill in the distance on the right


No comments:

Post a Comment