Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2023

First Garlic Sprout

 


The garden has started to stir - first crocuses and nettles and now the garlic.  Just three days ago I checked the garlic beds and they were frozen solid.  Then yesterday when I checked it was no longer frozen, and there were already garlic sprouts popping up.  

Last fall I did not harvest my carrots but buried them in leaves for insulation and covered them with a tarp and boards.  So with the ground unfrozen it was time to check on them.  And they did great!  I harvested about 1/6 of the carrot bed because that's all the carrots I can fit in my fridge.  They are perfectly crunchy and very sweet.  I figure I'll leave the rest of them in the ground until it is time to replant more carrots in a month or so.  I am going to end up with about 5 gallons of carrots at the time of year when you don't normally have garden carrots.

And finally while walking the dogs I checked on the blueberries.  Most of the bushes are not yet blooming, but down by the boardwalk through the swamp I found a few that had fully open flowers.  This is actually just about normal for first blueberry blossoms.  But maybe a little later than normal for last 10 years or so.

Patrick






No comments:

Post a Comment