Afognak is an awesome place to kayak. Ironically, I have been doing a LOT of work-related kayaking of late while surveying Afognak Island for archaeological sites. But it was nice to take the kids kayaking and not have a loaded down boat. Also nice to not kayak ALL day long, and HAVE to be some place by evening.
On this trip we had no agenda and no place to get go. We just meandered along the coast and checked things out. It was flat calm and sunny.
But we did have Brewster too, and he does not like getting left on shore alone! So I hiked along the beach with Brewster and the kids kayaked along the beach just off-shore. It is impressive how adept Nora and Stuey have become at kayaking alone. Stuey is at the point where I almost trust him to go exploring on his own - almost but not quite!
I also tried taking Brewster out for a spin in the kayak. He would not lie down and it got a little tippy. Later I went kayaking with Nora and Brewster swam along behind us for about a 1/2 mile - he is a fast swimmer! Needless to say, but he was one tired camper that evening. Patrick
![]() |
| Portrait with the petroglyphs - they watch over us |
| low tide landscape |
| Brewster even took a kayak ride! |
| Leaving the boats for a hike and a snack on the beach |


No comments:
Post a Comment