Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Splashtown


It took us a long time to get to the East Coast - like 2 days of traveling from Alaska (the why is another story entirely!).  But we finally did get into Boston early in the morning.  We had boarded the plane at midnight and had spent the night drooling on our elbows while trying to keep our heads propped up.  Your typical red eye flight type sleep thing.  So we were pretty tired when we get the rental car and finally start driving to Maine.  Kids are super hungry so we stop at a Duncan Doughnuts off route 1 near Revere.  Needless to say, but this is a pretty thrilling place to leave the road!

Anyway, we finally get to Maine and the kids want to stop at a water park near Saco - Splashtown USA.  Last time we drove to Maine in the summer they had stopped there with their mother.  Initially I resisted the idea - I just wanted to get to where we could relax, but in the end relented.  And so we went to Splashtown.

It was super hot and we all donned our swimsuits and entered the park.  And it was great!  We spent a full two hours doing the rides.  It must be said the place reminds me of a setting in a Stephen King novel, and seems hopelessly stuck in the 1970s.  I kind of get the feeling that every local kid gets his/her first summer job at the place.

Later, after we got to my sister's place and after a swim in the lake, I was amazed that the kids were so polite for dinner.  They were super zonked but I have never seen them do so well after a long trip.  So maybe side trips along the way aren't such a bad idea!
Patrick





No comments:

Post a Comment