Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Herreshoff 12


While out east I crewed for my mom in a sailboat race.  We were racing Herreshoff 12's and I had to set a spinnaker for the downwind portion of the race.  I had not set a spinnaker in over a quarter century and was super nervous.  Particularly so since we rounded the upwind mark in first place.  It was my race to blow!  But I set the spinnaker with no issues and we won the race.  Whoooooo Hooooo.

The kids watched us finish and decided that they wanted to wanted to go sailing too.  So the next morning I took them sailing in the Herreshoff 12.  It is a lovely boat for daysailing and it was a lovely day!  Nora read her book and Stuey learned to sail and steer.  He love sailing to windward and maintaining momentum of the boat during puffs. He likened it to surfing and catching a wave!  I'll add that Stuey has only gone surfing once - but it is a pretty apt analogy.

Patrick







Nora waits to row me back in from the mooring

No comments:

Post a Comment