Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Paddle boarding in Maine


Before our vacation to Maine I had never stand up paddle boarded before.  Back in the day I used to stand up in my double kayak that had weights in the bow and paddle around fly fishing.  And that was sort of like a ghetto version of stand up paddle boarding.  Sort of.  But on this trip I got introduced to the real thing.  On this trip we did A LOT of paddle boarding.  It seemed everywhere we visited there were paddle boards for us to use.  We paddled on lakes, on the ocean and even used SUPs to run the rapids on tidal rivers.

I must say they are a lot of fun, and I think on my return to Alaska I will probably join the crowds and buy one.  I'm thinking I'll get an inflatable one that I can easily transport to various places, and that can more readily handle bumping into rocks.

In Maine we mostly used them in the conventional manner to paddle around and explore.  Granny Cocoa who is almost 80 also joined us on the water.  But we also used them for horsing around.  Nora and Stuey would try and do yoga poses on top, water fights, and once Stuey and I doubled up and both paddled one at the same time - both of us standing up! Lots and lots of fun.
Patrick


Stuey paddles with grandma Cocoa












Using my old windsurfer as a paddle board - pretty much the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment