Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2020

A quick trip to the top of Sharatin Mountain

View of the summit during the climb up - that's the face I skied down

Yesterday I was driving up to Pyramid to go for a quick ski when I decided to go up Sharatin Mountain instead.  It was so beautiful outside and I really did not have any pressing commitments - so why not?

Sharatin is a much bigger mountain, and a 4 rather than 1 1/2  hour commitment.  I also had no gear in the car.  I realized I was wearing clogs and had even forgotten to wear socks.  No food, no raincoat, but certainly a perfect day.  So I decided to just do it anyway.

Getting my gear together at the car I realized that I did have Nora's day pack and that Stuey had left a puff jacket and pair of used socks in the car.  So I had socks to wear in my ski boots, a too small puff jacket in case it got cold, and a pack to carry it all.  I was all set and so away I went!

And it was totally worthwhile.  I got to the summit in 2 hours and then skied most of the way back to the car in one long swooping 2 mile ski run.  I got back to the car less than 3 1/2 hours after I left it.

A quick trip indeed!

Patrick

Me at the top with Nora's tiny pack carrying the skis

I skied almost 2 miles to the far end of the snow visible in this photo

My tracks off of the summit

The radial engine and propellor for a B18a bomber that crashed on Sharatin in 1941

That's the LONG ski run - and I still had a 1/2 mile of time on skis to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment