Search This Blog

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Last fall's colors and this spring's plague


Climbing up Pyramid to go skiing I noticed that the plants melting out from under the snow are already fully grown.  They seemed to have stayed alive under the snow.  Some of them are even still wearing their bright red fall colors.  These plants are fully grown and ready to take advantage of their 5 months in the sunshine.

Meanwhile down at sea level my once brown lawn has turned green and a plague of dandelions are popping up everywhere.  I know they are beautiful, medicinal and nutritious, and feed the bumblebees, but they are also a plague and because of their tap root very hard to weed. I spend hours pulling them from the lawn and garden beds.  I fully realize that I will never get rid of them - I just hope to contain their population to a manageable number.

I've learned to live with dandelions and appreciate that they do have some benefits.  I also know it is futile to go the 'scorched earth policy' and use unhealthy herbicides.  I'd have a lawn free of dandelions for perhaps one summer - and then they'd be back.  And meanwhile the herbicides would have had unintended unhealthy consequences.

I can live with a few dandelions.

Patrick


club moss and crowberry - all ready to go once the snow melts

No comments:

Post a Comment