Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Yellow dog in a black and white world


For the last 4 days I have been skiing everyday after work.  There has been no sunshine just fog, rain and snow, and the light has been pretty dismal.  On Tuesday I got a late start (dentist appointment) and did not start up the mountain until 3:30 or so.  It gets dark at 4:30.  So it was really dismal with the mist, and low light from the setting sun.

My first few pictures looked really bad so I did an experiment and auto adjusted the white balance in the camera.  Basically you point the camera at something white (snow works great!) and push a button and the camera adjusts the white balance.  I also brightened things up a bit by setting the auto exposure at plus 1.  Then I took some more pictures and suddenly Brewster was a yellow dog in a black and white world.  He was perfectly the right color!

Some of the pictures still look a little blue, but oh so much better than they looked before and I did not do any playing with the colors at home in iPhoto.  I had tried to fix the ones below that I took on Monday (with 'cloudy day' white balance setting) - iPhoto made them better but I could not fix the skewed colors.  In the future I will have to remember to adjust the camera white balance more often!
Patrick



For these 2 pictures I had not self adjusted the camera white balance (both from Monday)

The white is not true white!

Sunset Tuesday - a patch of blue!



No comments:

Post a Comment