Search This Blog

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Winter


Finally some winter!  My kale has finally died for the first time in years, the lakes are frozen, and there is snow in town. The temperature even dropped below zero a few days ago. Wow!

Somehow according to the weather guys at the airport Kodiak has still only received a few inches all winter, but at my house there is a solid foot on the ground.  Yesterday, when Nora and I drove up to the pass there was already a foot of new dry powder on the ground and it had not even started to snow hard in town.  There is probably 2 feet of new snow up there today.  So much snow that I doubt I could even drive up there (check bottom photo on this post from early afternoon yesterday before it really started to snow).

But there is no need to drive up there anyway - we have snow in town!  This opens up all sorts of options.  I could go XC skiing on Lake Gertrude at Abercrombie, or even skin up the road on Pillar Mountain and ski down the road.  I've never done that one before and just might do it.  My back is out anyway - so Pillar sounds good.

Yesterday the snow was so deep that Nora and I had a hard time moving.  We skinned up the hill behind the ski chalet and the new snow was so deep, and the slope so gentle that we had a hard time getting up to speed to go downhill.  You pretty much had to straight line it.

Whoooooo hooooooooo!  Winter is finally here!
Patrick







No comments:

Post a Comment