This past winter I had had plans to take the kids multiple times to the Alyeska Ski Resort so that they could get better at skiing. They ended up doing absolutely no lift assisted skiing. After Christmas we cancelled when Nora got a stomach bug the day we planned to travel to Anchorage. Then COVID 19 demolished our spring break plans.
But despite no lift assisted skiing, the kids did more skiing this past winter than ever before. Over the past 5 weeks between the 2 of them they just missed 2 days of skiing. That's impressive and they also improved tremendously. I also have noticed that they seem to enjoy some of the aspects of skiing you only experience away from resorts. No not climbing up - I enjoy that aspect - but the kids are not wild about it. What they love is the challenge of 'brush busting' and finding your way to the car crossing grass and 'pointing' it through patches of salmonberry.
The snow near the road is mostly melted out and so we thread together patches of snow to get as close to the road as possible. It is a thrill! But somehow I also understand that not everyone would think so.
Patrick
![]() |
| Low snow conditions! Brush busting time! |








No comments:
Post a Comment