Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Eagles and sun halos


Here are some more pictures from the day I took my camera with the zoom lens skiing so that I could get pictures of the swans.  As I related earlier, I did not get the really good swan picture, but I did get a good eagle on nest picture.

I was zooming along on the crust in my skate skis through the cottonwood trees when I looked up and saw this pair on their nest.  With the zoom lens I did not even have to get close enough to bother them. Obviously they did see me - but they never left their nest or made any screeching noises.  I was sort of impressed that they are already nesting with so much snow still on the ground.  I am wondering what they are doing for food - maybe dining on all the winter kill deer carcasses?

That day I also saw a pretty good sun halo.  A storm came in later that evening but the moisture from the storm was already arriving early and had created a halo around the sun.  What's cool is that there was sort of a lenticular eye-shaped lens on top of the circular halo (see bottom photo shot with drama setting that shows it best).  I have no idea what caused this diffractive effect.
Patrick







Shot by accident with the camera's dramatic filter

No comments:

Post a Comment